Gracechurch Street, London
A top-quality English rosewood carriage clock.
The well figured rosewood case with bevelled glass panels to the top and sides with folding gilt hexagonal bar handle having scroll ends and terminating with lions heads, standing on gilt bun feet. The silvered dial with Roman numerals, subsidiary seconds dial at X11 o’clock and foliate scroll engraving to the surround with blued steel hands, signed Frodsham Gracechurch Street London. The two-train chain fusee movement, signed Frodsham Gracechurch Street London on the backplate, sounding the hours on a gong with pull repeat cord and a gilt platform lever escapement.
Case height 9 ¼ inches (23.5cms). John Frodsham was born in 1785 and admitted to the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1822. He had a son, Henry John, and took him on as an apprentice in 1830. Henry was admitted to the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1838.
John had premises at 33 Gracechurch Street from circa 1825 to 1837. The business moved next door to number 31 where they remained until the turn of the century. It is recorded that the business was trading as Frodsham & Son from 1834 to 1853. John Frodsham died in 1849 and the Frodsham business went into partnership with Baker in 1854 and traded as Frodsham & Baker until 1863.
‘Victorian Clocks’ by Richard Good
‘Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World’ by Brian Loomes.